Wednesday 31 October 2007

Some snippets from China

I was looking through my pictures from China and there are a few I'd like to share here. This first one was at the Great Wall in Simatai:I know they are investing a lot of money in translating a lot of things in (proper) English for the Beijing Olympics next year, and they definitely have a lot of work to do.
That said, I was really happy there was some matter of English, and even more so that it was usually quite entertaining!

Now on the other hand, bars in Beijing have some great slogans and I particularly like this one, direct and compelling: I don't know what you would have done, but I saw that and walked straight in! I think whoever came up with this should be working on the Olympics, but somehow I doubt that's the case...

I saw this sculpture while walking along the river in Chengdu, Sichuan.
I was actually surprised to see it, after a few weeks in China, you completely forget it's supposed to be a Communist country. Fortunately they left some of the artwork to remind us, and I think this is a fine piece of Soviet art.I saw this while climbing Mt Emei, one of the four Sacred Buddhist Mountains of China (a big deal for Chinese people and one of the main tourist, historical and religious sites in the country). The ability for Chinese to surprise was endless, the last thing I was expecting was to read about Donald Duck hanging out there in the mountain! Of course, I didn't manage to spot the tree, I mean it is a forest right in front of you... I don't even know if it's possible to see it from this picture, but if anyone does please do tell me!I saw this one in Shenzhen, it's really funny how just one letter changes the whole meaning in English but at the same time probably describes the food even better!

No comments: